Sunday, March 17, 2013

Riding Log For the Second Week of Break

This week was a fairly quite week. Donny got his hocks injected on monday so he had 3 days off and was in easy work for the rest of the week.
     - Tuesday: I had a lesson on Fiona that was very educational. Fiona and I always clash to a certain extent, not that I don't like her, just that she is always a difficult ride for me. I am definitely a rider who prefers a forward thinking, maybe even a hot horse. The natural instinct on a more behind the leg horse is to apply more leg. In Fiona's case this is not effective however, Bryn worked with me to keep my legs what seemed to be ridiculously far off and to focus more on my correct positioning adding in quick and clear squeezes when I wanted more energy instead of constantly focusing on the issue. By the end of the lesson miracle of all miracles Fiona was forward. Being able to change my thinking and adapt to a horse who is opposite of what I am accustom to is certainly a difficult but very important skill especially in IDA.     
     - Saturday: Donny wasn't quite up to a lesson do I went later in the afternoon for a easier ride. Donny having not been in serious work for a while was incredibly hyper and convinced the light under the door at the far end of the arena was a horse killer. We did lots of walking and trotting and stretchy work. Even though Donny was a bit skittish he felt great doing it an I am very excited to see how he will progress after his injections once he gets back into regular work and doesn't have quite so much extra energy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment